Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Thumbnails: Todd Lockwood

Thumbnails: 30 Second Interviews

Todd Lockwood is an extremely gifted and prolific artist, working as much in the gaming field as in the book publishing worl
d. His art book, Transitions, is available from Paper Tiger Press and, I’m thrilled to say, he will be doing a painting demo at the Society of Illustrators along with Donato Giancola on October 7th. (Click here for more information on that event.)

What is your favorite painting you did in the past year?
Drizzt and Gwynn, a cover for the compended issues of the Legends of Drizzt comic book. Or the cover for Midnight Tides
[seen above] by Steven Erikson, from Tor Books. Can't make up my mind.

What is your dream assignment?
Coming up in September: Bullseye Tattoo is
paying me to paint them a poster of anything I want. Paying me? To paint anything I want? That's a dream job.

Your first break in the business?

Asimov's, in 1993

Name a career highlight?
Designing the Dragons for 3rd Edition D&D!


What are you working on now?

A six pack of Amber Bock


Who are some of your biggest influences?
Whelan, Frazetta, NC Wyeth, Norman Rockwell, Maxfield Parrish, Remington, Russell, Tedema, Disney

Seen here is a progression
from thumbnail to final on the upcoming Tobias Buckell novel, Ragamuffin, sequel to Crystal Rain. (Click on image for larger view)

4 comments:

RobB said...

Nice interview! Those are two awesome covers and I absolutely LOVED Mr. Lockwood's cover for Crystal Rain!

stanko said...

Very nice... it's also awesome to see the work at various stages.

john

Nalo said...

That may be the science fiction book cover I've waited my whole life to see. *So* happy!

Anonymous said...

I like a game which you need uselast chaos goldto play. If you want to be online to play this game, I can borrow lastchaos goldto you. When you have lastchaos money, and than you can go on this game. Of cause, when you are first to play, you can buy last chaos gold. If you have enough cheap lastchaos gold, you will be able to different games.