Monday, May 28, 2007

One of my bestest friends, Jonathan Schmidt, is in town for the week. Yay! He was Tor's young adult editor for a number of years and started our Starscape line. Spending a long night catching up reminded me of just how much fun it was to work together and launch Starscape. We had a year's worth of titles picked out ahead of time and no one really looking over our shoulders. It was a new market to me, I had a blast exploring different artists and a broader range of styles than we often get away with in the adult market. I also remember being surprised to realize that most of the books were shelved in the YA fiction section, not necessarily SF/F sections - which seemed to be reserved for series. So, perhaps a more fluid sense of what is or isn't an acceptable package for the genre shouldn't be surprising.

Cover art by Red Nose Studio.

2 comments:

Carl V. Anderson said...

Love Red Nose Studio, and I love the Starscape line. I picked up some great books from that line thanks to artwork being featured in Spectrum. Hope you have a lovely visit.

Anonymous said...

Wow!So you had a nice time meeting your best friend.It feels great when such creative people are around.Have a nice week ahead!