Monday, July 09, 2007

Exposé 5

Expose 5, the all-digital annual, has been released. They have awarded John Berkey their Grand Master Award. Although Berkey has never used a computer, he is a clear influence on many of today’s digital artists. He is one of illustration’s finest regardless of genre or tools....but it is truly amazing that he was able to create the paintings he did with the relatively inert media of acrylics.

“In truth, fear is an element of every picture I have ever painted,” says Berkey. “Being fearful of failure or having little confidence just becomes something to climb over.”

1 comment:

Carl V. Anderson said...

Berkey is one of the most amazing science fiction artists ever. He certainly deserves the recognition and I think it is great that the digital art community recognizes his brilliance. I've been meaning to pick up a copy of Expose for awhile now, this may have just given me the motivation I need to get out and order one.