Monday, October 30, 2006

Halloween Goodness!

As we all know, Halloween is the second best holiday of the year after Christmas.

This past weekend was the Cathedral of St. John the Divine's annual Halloween extravaganza. Each year they fill the cathedral with smoke and spooky lights and play a silent horror movie (this year it was Nosferatu) with live organ music. After the movie, the real fun begins...A procession of ghosts and goblins emerges from the altar and slowly walks through the audience. It is a much cooler way to see beautifully creepy costumes than getting crushed the the parade crowds on Halloween day.


We also went to the Museum of Natural History for a lecture on bats. The lecturer brought a few live bats to show off. I'll admit that the average attendee was seven years old but, I didn't care, it was really fun to see these guys close up.


Next up: Nightmare Before Christmas in 3D and Wicked!


Christmas is decidedly more mellow. There is a Christmas tree and fireplace and I never venture more than three feet from either.

2 comments:

Rhea said...

I adore Halloween. On Halloween here in Boston there is a big bike ride (about 150 riders), all costumed, many freaky. We ride into Harvard Square and take over the city of Cambridge!

Irene Gallo said...

That's great!

I often said that Id love to be a mummy cyclist if I were in the parade. I thought it would be fun to wrap both the bicycle and myself in gauze...Although it sounds like a head injury in the making, once the gauze starts falling into the chain.

Have fun!