Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Comic Con: Sunday

The final day of Comic Con was full of a lot of last minute shopping and the sudden realization that, despite having spent five days there, you still hadn’t seen everything.

All in all, it was a great convention. It is always inspiring to be around people that are so passionate about what they do. It was wonderful to meet up with friends and colleagues that I only see once a year and to meet new artists coming into the field. I definitely came away with a few names that I’ll be keeping my eye on.

A number of us spent the final evening playing the most intense game of Pictionary. I must say, it was a little intimidating to be the only non-artist playing with the likes of George Pratt, Donato Giancola, Stephan Martiniere, Greg Manchess, and others. Luckily, thirty second drawings done with your wrong hand and eyes closed look pretty much the same no matter who draws them.
Martiniere’s “Speaking with Forked Tongue”


A little off-topic: I decided to take off Monday to decompress a bit before returning home and diving straight back into work. The San Diego Zoo is as amazing as its reputation claims. I’ve never seen a creature as graceful as this 6,000 pound hippo in water.

5 comments:

Harry Connolly said...

This is off-topic, but I really love the cover to _The Wizard Lord_. I think it looks fantastic.

David Lee Ingersoll said...

Pictionary is a wonderful game for destroying artist's egos. You can't waste time trying to make something look RIGHT. You only have time to make the drawing look like something your partner sorta recognizes.

Irene Gallo said...

Thanks, Harry. That was done by Raymond Swanland. He's a dream to work with. The Q&A section has an interesting "how to" on a Modesitt cover that he did for us.

http://www.raymondswanland.com/

Tracy Flynn Art said...

Irene,

Thanks so much for the insights on Comicon, I one day hope to get there for a first hand view. Your posts have been wonderful.

All the best.

Tracy

Great pic of Arnie!!!!!


http://tflynnartgallery.com

Irene Gallo said...

Hi Tracy,

What’s funny is that I keep seeing other people’s pictures from Comic Con and I could tell they had a completely different experience than I did. There is just SO much to see and do, it’s impossible to get it all in.

Irene