Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Harold Von Schmidt

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Today at lunch I ran over to Illustration House to see their Harold Von Schmidt exhibit. (This is why I live in New York!) What some of you may not realize is that science fiction and fantasy is actually only half of what we publish at Tor, more properly Tom Doherty Associates. Our other imprint is Forge Books. Forge is where we publish our westerns, thrillers, historicals, non-fiction, basically anything that isn’t science fiction. It is rare that we can use illustration on those non-sf books — current trends dictate that we use a montage of stock photographs. A good designer can make a good looking cover that way...but, after viewing a collection of Von Schmidt's work and seeing how vibrant and alive he could make our history feel, I regret that there isn’t more room for this kind of work in today’s marketplace.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

2 comments:

David Apatoff said...

I just received the Harold von Schmidt catalog in the mail and while the reproductions were very nice, I was sorry that I did not live in NY so that I could swing by the way you did. Thanks for filling us in about the show.

Anonymous said...

Once I played FF11, I did not know how to get strong, someone told me that you must have FFXI Gil.He gave me some FFXI gold , he said that I could buy FFXI Gil, but I did not have money, then I played it all my spare time. From then on, I got some Final Fantasy XI gold, if I did not continue to play it, I can sell cheap Final Fantasy XI Gold