Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Hubert Rogers Exhibit in Amherst

Hubert Rogers and Astounding Magazine: Science Fiction Art From the Golden Age
December 3 - January 31

UMass A
mherst Campus, W.E.B. Du Bois Library

I seriously wish I could go see this. Unfortunately it will be tough to get up there, with the holidays coming up. If anyone here gets to see it, let us know how it is.

I was first introduced to Hubert Rogers when Tor published reprints of Slan and Null-A, and then I was reintroduced to him during a slide lecture by Vincent di Fate. (Or was it the other way around?) I enjoyed his strong, simple compositions, restrained pallet, and relative naturalism. A quick web search will bring up a lot of examples of his work...just be prepared for a very pleasant time-sink.

"Hubert Rogers was one of the best figure painters to work in the pulp field, and certainly one of the two or three finest artists to specialize in science fiction in the 1940s and 1950s." VINCENT DI FATE, from Infinite Worlds.

3 comments:

Frederick Paul Kiesche III said...

He is one of my favorite Astounding SF artists and I bought all the Tor/Orb editions with his artwork. (Which makes me wonder...any chance of the next installment of the Null A series, pretty please?).

I'd love to see the exhibit, but like you, family ties will probably block any chance. Check my link to this posting on my site for a Astounding/Analog cover art site that will probably astonish you.

Irene Gallo said...

Holy cow, Fred, I could spend ages going through all that! Thanks so much!

Everyone check out:
http://www.sfcovers.net/Magazines/ASF/navbar.htm

Frederick Paul Kiesche III said...

Isn't it a wonderful site? There's another one (in French) with similar content. I'll try to track it down. I believe there is also one that covers Amazing. I'd love to find Galaxy and If!

I went through the whole site and kept saying "Hey, I read that one! I read that one! So that's what the one looked like!", etc. Good stuff.