Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Thumbnails: Eric Fortune

Thumbnails: 30 Second Interviews

I first noticed Eric Fortune, and his remarkably sensitive paintings, when
I saw his 9/11 painting in Spectrum 11. So quietly sad...understated and resolved. Seeing the original painting is even more stunning. Since then, I look forward to seeing his work wherever it appears.

Favorite painting you did in the past year?

Not sure. I'd have to say
The Matador -- a piece that will be in the upcoming Society of Illustrators show (HIPHIP!:) or a piece titled Stephanie Shrugs recently done for Realms of Fantasy.

Dream assignment?
Dream assignment would sound something like this: (In British accent) "Hello Eric, we would like to commission you to do a painting, with complete artistic freedom, of your liking. Upon completion of this work we will pay you one bazillion dollars (or euros, whatever). We will then develop a smashing blockbuster movie based around your painting and you‚ll be rich and famous and live happily ever after throughout the world, nay universe, in perpetuity". Or something like that.

On a serious note, I noticed my best work is either personal or one where the art director gives you more freedom. If I enjoy painting it and it turns out well it's a dream.

Do you remember the first time you knew you wanted to be an artist?
I have always wanted to be an artist. However, it never seemed very practical. I thought architecture was my best bet. I could still be creative and kinda skip the whole "starving" aspect of being an artist. Senior year in high school my art teacher convinced me that I could make a living as an artist. I applied to Columbus College of Art and Design and luckily got a scholarship. Hungry as hell but I couldn't be more happy. It's a good kind of pain.

A career highlight?
I'm very happy and excited anytime I get accepted into an illustration annual. However, when I found out I made it into the very first Spectrum Exhibition I was ecstatic! Being selected from among thousands from the past eleven issues was quite an honor. And to have an original piece of art hanging next to some of my all time favorites it was outstanding.

Your biggest influences?
Frazetta, N.C. Wyeth, Skip Liepke, J.C. Leyedecker, Michael Whelan, John Palencar, Phil Hale, C.F. Payne to name a few.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh yet another name put to artworks I've looked at and admired so much! I really love these interviews, thank you so much :)

I wonder, has anyone who wanted to be an artist later in life ever gotten to be successful?

Robert Hunt said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

^^^

I wonder if that was someone totally kicking my bum about my grammar :D

Gotten to be?


Jeeeezus *shakes head*

Robert Hunt said...

No It was me, just saying in answer to your question that I started as an illustrator at almost age 30 and have been very busy ever since, for over 20 years. It can be done.

Irene Gallo said...

Renee - Anyone coming to The Art Department for grammar is in for a world of hurt! No apologies needed here. ;-)

Anonymous said...

The only grammar I'm familiar with is Kelsey.......did I spell that right? Dag nabbit!

Irene Gallo said...

I bought “Eats, Shoots and Leaves”..I just haven’t actually read it yet. I will, I promise I will. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Robert, you're officially my hero.


I'm godawful - but I've only been at it a year :D But it's /so/ nice to hear that it can be done, it gives me a little glimmer of hope!

How I do wish I'd have figured this out a decade (or two) ago - that this is what I wanted to do with my life.

And I'm really sorry about my silly mistakes with the English language, I've no excuse other than a head that is far too fast for even my typing fingers. *blush*

Anonymous said...

Once I played 12sky, I did not know how to get strong, someone told me that you must have twelve sky Gold. He gave me some 12sky gold, he said that I could buy twelvesky Gold, but I did not have money, then I played it all my spare time. From then on, I got some 12Sky Silver Coins, if I did not continue to play it, I can sell 12 sky gold to anyone who want.