Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Thumbnails: Eric Fortune

Thumbnails: 30 Second Interviews

I first noticed Eric Fortune, and his remarkably sensitive paintings, when
I saw his 9/11 painting in Spectrum 11. So quietly sad...understated and resolved. Seeing the original painting is even more stunning. Since then, I look forward to seeing his work wherever it appears.

Favorite painting you did in the past year?

Not sure. I'd have to say
The Matador -- a piece that will be in the upcoming Society of Illustrators show (HIPHIP!:) or a piece titled Stephanie Shrugs recently done for Realms of Fantasy.

Dream assignment?
Dream assignment would sound something like this: (In British accent) "Hello Eric, we would like to commission you to do a painting, with complete artistic freedom, of your liking. Upon completion of this work we will pay you one bazillion dollars (or euros, whatever). We will then develop a smashing blockbuster movie based around your painting and you‚ll be rich and famous and live happily ever after throughout the world, nay universe, in perpetuity". Or something like that.

On a serious note, I noticed my best work is either personal or one where the art director gives you more freedom. If I enjoy painting it and it turns out well it's a dream.

Do you remember the first time you knew you wanted to be an artist?
I have always wanted to be an artist. However, it never seemed very practical. I thought architecture was my best bet. I could still be creative and kinda skip the whole "starving" aspect of being an artist. Senior year in high school my art teacher convinced me that I could make a living as an artist. I applied to Columbus College of Art and Design and luckily got a scholarship. Hungry as hell but I couldn't be more happy. It's a good kind of pain.

A career highlight?
I'm very happy and excited anytime I get accepted into an illustration annual. However, when I found out I made it into the very first Spectrum Exhibition I was ecstatic! Being selected from among thousands from the past eleven issues was quite an honor. And to have an original piece of art hanging next to some of my all time favorites it was outstanding.

Your biggest influences?
Frazetta, N.C. Wyeth, Skip Liepke, J.C. Leyedecker, Michael Whelan, John Palencar, Phil Hale, C.F. Payne to name a few.

13 comments:

renee bailey said...

Oooh yet another name put to artworks I've looked at and admired so much! I really love these interviews, thank you so much :)

I wonder, has anyone who wanted to be an artist later in life ever gotten to be successful?

Robert Hunt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
renee bailey said...

^^^

I wonder if that was someone totally kicking my bum about my grammar :D

Gotten to be?


Jeeeezus *shakes head*

Robert Hunt said...

No It was me, just saying in answer to your question that I started as an illustrator at almost age 30 and have been very busy ever since, for over 20 years. It can be done.

Irene Gallo said...

Renee - Anyone coming to The Art Department for grammar is in for a world of hurt! No apologies needed here. ;-)

Eric Fizortune said...

The only grammar I'm familiar with is Kelsey.......did I spell that right? Dag nabbit!

Irene Gallo said...

I bought “Eats, Shoots and Leaves”..I just haven’t actually read it yet. I will, I promise I will. ;-)

renee bailey said...

Robert, you're officially my hero.


I'm godawful - but I've only been at it a year :D But it's /so/ nice to hear that it can be done, it gives me a little glimmer of hope!

How I do wish I'd have figured this out a decade (or two) ago - that this is what I wanted to do with my life.

And I'm really sorry about my silly mistakes with the English language, I've no excuse other than a head that is far too fast for even my typing fingers. *blush*

Anonymous said...

tibia money tibia gold tibia item runescape money runescape gold runescape power leveling tibia gold runescape money runescape gold runescape accounts runescape gp runescape power leveling dofus kamas buy runescape gold buy runescape money runescape items tibia item runescape accounts runescape gp wow power leveling wow powerleveling Warcraft PowerLeveling tibia money tibia gold runescape powerleveling buy dofus kamas Warcraft Power Leveling World of Warcraft PowerLeveling World of Warcraft Power Leveling Hellgate money Hellgate gold Guild Wars Gold buy Guild Wars Gold lotro gold buy lotro gold Hellgate Palladium Hellgate London Palladium Hellgate London gold runescape money runescape gold eve isk eve online isk Fiesta Silver Fiesta Gold SilkRoad Gold buy SilkRoad Gold Scions of Fate Gold SOF Gold Age Of Conan Gold AOC Gold lotro gold buy lotro gold buy runescape gold buy runescape money runescape items ArchLord gold buy ArchLord gold DDO Plat tibia money tibia gold tibia item Dungeons and Dragons Online Plat

xuemei said...

Once I played 12sky, I did not know how to get strong, someone told me that you must have twelve sky Gold. He gave me some 12sky gold, he said that I could buy twelvesky Gold, but I did not have money, then I played it all my spare time. From then on, I got some 12Sky Silver Coins, if I did not continue to play it, I can sell 12 sky gold to anyone who want.

Anonymous said...

I like to earn rappelz rupees, because it is very interesting. I think if you meet the rappelz gold, you will like it too. And when you play the game well you can get some cheap rappelz rupees as the rewards from the game. As long as you have a lot of rappelz money in the game you will be strong, and you can go to buy rupees with the other players.

Anonymous said...

豆豆聊天室 aio交友愛情館 2008真情寫真 2009真情寫真 aa片免費看 捷克論壇 微風論壇 大眾論壇 plus論壇 080視訊聊天室 情色視訊交友90739 美女交友-成人聊天室 色情小說 做愛成人圖片區 豆豆色情聊天室 080豆豆聊天室 小辣妹影音交友網 台中情人聊天室 桃園星願聊天室 高雄網友聊天室 新中台灣聊天室 中部網友聊天室 嘉義之光聊天室 基隆海岸聊天室 中壢網友聊天室 南台灣聊天室 南部聊坊聊天室 台南不夜城聊天室 南部網友聊天室 屏東網友聊天室 台南網友聊天室 屏東聊坊聊天室 雲林網友聊天室 大學生BBS聊天室 網路學院聊天室 屏東夜語聊天室 孤男寡女聊天室 一網情深聊天室 心靈饗宴聊天室 流星花園聊天室 食色男女色情聊天室 真愛宣言交友聊天室 情人皇朝聊天室 上班族成人聊天室 上班族f1影音視訊聊天室 哈雷視訊聊天室 080影音視訊聊天室 38不夜城聊天室 援交聊天室080 080哈啦聊天室 台北已婚聊天室 已婚廣場聊天室 夢幻家族聊天室 摸摸扣扣同學會聊天室 520情色聊天室 QQ成人交友聊天室 免費視訊網愛聊天室 愛情公寓免費聊天室 拉子性愛聊天室 柔情網友聊天室 哈啦影音交友網 哈啦影音視訊聊天室 櫻井莉亞三點全露寫真集 123上班族聊天室 尋夢園上班族聊天室 成人聊天室上班族 080上班族聊天室 6k聊天室 粉紅豆豆聊天室 080豆豆聊天網 新豆豆聊天室 080聊天室 免費音樂試聽 流行音樂試聽 免費aa片試看A片 免費a長片線上看 色情貼影片 免費a長片 本土成人貼圖站 大台灣情色網 台灣男人幫論壇 A圖網 嘟嘟成人電影網 火辣春夢貼圖網 情色貼圖俱樂部 台灣成人電影 絲襪美腿樂園 18美女貼圖區 柔情聊天網 707網愛聊天室聯盟 台北69色情貼圖區 38女孩情色網 台灣映像館 波波成人情色網站 美女成人貼圖區 無碼貼圖力量 色妹妹性愛貼圖區 日本女優貼圖網 日本美少女貼圖區 亞洲風暴情色貼圖網 哈啦聊天室 美少女自拍貼圖 辣妹成人情色網 台北女孩情色網 辣手貼圖情色網 AV無碼女優影片 男女情色寫真貼圖 a片天使俱樂部 萍水相逢遊戲區 平水相逢遊戲區 免費視訊交友90739 免費視訊聊天 辣妹視訊 - 影音聊天網 080視訊聊天室 日本美女肛交 美女工廠貼圖區 百分百貼圖區 亞洲成人電影情色網 台灣本土自拍貼圖網 麻辣貼圖情色網 好色客成人圖片貼圖區 711成人AV貼圖區 台灣美女貼圖區 筱萱成人論壇 咪咪情色貼圖區 momokoko同學會視訊 kk272視訊 情色文學小站 成人情色貼圖區 嘟嘟成人網 嘟嘟情人色網 - 貼圖區 免費色情a片下載 台灣情色論壇 成人影片分享 免費視訊聊天區 微風 成人 論壇 kiss文學區 taiwankiss文學區

how to buy air shoes said...

Some new style Puma Speed is in fashion this year. chaussure puma is Puma Shoes in french. Many france like seach “chaussure sport” by the internet when they need buy the Puma shoes or buy the nike max shoes.The information age is really convenient. By the way ,the puma CAT is really good chaussures puma ,don’t forget buy the puma mens shoes and nike air max ltd by the internet when you need them . Do you know Nike Air Shoes is a best Air Shoes .

Spring is coming, and how to choose the polo shirts is the main concern of many people. ralph lauren polo shirts is a classic type and reliable. ed hardy clothing is more in line with the aesthetic ideas of young people, so many young people filled with a variety of ed hardy clothes in their wardrobes. New style ed hardy womens shirt match the new style ed hardy sunglasses , it is a good idea.
Do you think this season is not for ugg boots ? maybe yes .but this season is best time that can buy the cheap ugg boots. Many sellers are selling discounted. Do not miss . Please view my blog and fc2 blog .thank you .