Monday, February 19, 2007

Boskone

Boskone was a great time. I didn’t get to as many panels as I would have liked but that’s because I was having too good a time talking to various peoples. I got to spend more time with Tor authors than I usually do. It was great to catching up with John Scalzi and Toby Buckell. I met Karl Schroeder -- who I teased with the fact that his next cover from Stephan Martiniere is nearly done. (Stephan has been taking process shots of the painting, I’m looking forward to being able to show a step-by-step here soon.) I met Matthew Jarpe and had to apologize for loosing a “t” in his name on his Radio Freefall cover. (No, it is not final and, yes, will be fixed soon!) I had the pleasure of many conversations with Lou Anders from Pyr.

As for the art side of things: Gary Lippinncott’s work is always wonderful to see and get lost inside of. Dave Seeley, Ruth Sanderson, Rick Berry, Brian Dow all had great shows. It was fun to see some of Bob Eggelton’s “painting a day” pieces in the flesh. A real highlight of the exhibit was the Hubert Rogers retrospective. The Rogers family brought in a number of paintings and lots of ink work. One of the most enjoyable parts of Boskone for me each year is seeing Rick and Shelia Berry. They invited a small group out to Rick’s studio Sunday night. -- a really nice and mellow way to end a con.


Next convention: LunaCon. While this tends to be a fairly small convention it is chock full of artists. The guest of honor, Dave Seeley, has made an effort to be sure that that will be particularly true this year. He’s arranged for an open studio throughout Saturday. A few of the artists attending throughout the weekend, either officially or unofficially, are Donato Giancola, Jon Foster, Greg Manchess, Dave Palumbo, Dan Dos Santos, Tom Kidd, Steve Hickman and others. This will be quite the art party.

5 comments:

Lou Anders said...

Irene, hanging with you was the highlight of the con!

Tobias Buckell said...

Awesome seeing you there, Irene. A ton of fun catching up.

Brian W. Dow said...

I'll concur with Lou here. The great thing about an event like Boskone is getting to see people for longer than a few minutes at a time. It fills in some of the gaps to what makes us us.

Irene Gallo said...

Hi Guys,

I had a great time hanging out with ya’ll!

Boskone is sorta perfect that way – large enough to attract a lot of cool people, small enough that you get time to really talk. I’m already looking forward to next year.

Anonymous said...

It was great meeting you, Irene. Don't worry about the missing "t." My own father made the same mistake when he filled out my birth certificate. From what I've seen so far you have done a fantastic job on the RADIO FREEFALL cover.