Saturday, February 10, 2007

John Jude Palencar: Origins

I just got a copy of John Jude Palencar's Origins and it is so very pretty -- nice full page images on practically every page and lots of sketches. Fourteen years in the business and I still get the biggest kick at seeing sketches. Somehow seeing the process enhances the magic for me, not diminishes it. I was pleasantly surprised to see a post I made here a while back quoted on the jacket: John is one of our masters in the field. He has a truly unique voice that can be haunting, ethereal, sensual, and disturbing...often at the same time. All of which can be seen in this collection of works. The book also features an extensive biography/conversation with John Jude.

PICTURED HERE: Cover. A spread of sketches and a painting that JJ did as an artist-in-residence in Ireland. The cover painting to Charles de Lint's Forest of the Heart. (I am privileged to have this painting hanging in my living room.)

7 comments:

Carl V. Anderson said...

I'm glad this is finally out. I thought it was supposed to be released around the same time as Jon Foster's book but hadn't seen it in the stores. Look forward to picking this up.

tlchang said...

Thanks for the review - I have it on my 'wish list'!

Jimmy Simpson said...

I had been hoping that it would be released in time for World Fantasy, so I could get it signed by him. Oh, well, that just means I will have to meet him at another convention sometimes.

bill said...

Got my copy this weekend. It is a beautiful book.

Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

I got my copy today and it's lovely! I too like his pencil work ups and such, and his forward narrative is something I want to sit down with a glass and wine and read...it's terrfic. A good book!!!

Carl V. Anderson said...

Went and picked up my copy today, it is a beautiful book. I look forward to pouring over it thoroughly.

Anonymous said...

Very Good artist and more for big inspiration,
Zlatko Krstevski
www.vizant.org.mk