Saturday, June 16, 2007

FIT

Proving, once again, that I’ll do anything for a sandwich....

FIT’s Vincent di Fate and Melanie Reim asked Charles Hivey, the publisher of 3x3 Magazine, Viki Morgan, of Morgan Gaynin Illustration Representatives, and me to do a portfolio review of their inaugural graduate class. We started in the FIT gallery where we saw exhibits from each student, then gathered in a conference room to review their portfolios. I was a bit nervous about the idea of critiquing a group of students that have already spent a number of years as professional illustrators but I think our troika did a decent job of it. The work was excellent and clearly the students had formed a tight bond throughout the two year program. It lead to a very engaged and nurturing atmosphere. I almost feel guilty -- I think I learned more from the conversation than I was able to impart. And the sandwiches were excellent! Even better were the cookies.

As an aside: If I know anything about illustration it’s Vin Di Fate’s fault. He was one of the first artists I commissioned when I started at Tor. A number of years ago I asked if i could sit in on any “history of” lectures he might be giving. Rather than crash a lecture he graciously invited me into the full semester’s class and at some point he introduced me to the Society of Illustrators. Truly, he is someone as interested in inspiring others as he is in his own work.

2 comments:

Carl V. Anderson said...

Vincent di Fate was one of the first artists you commissioned? Wow, you really hit the ground running!

Anonymous said...

You are correct about Vincent inspiring others I was one of the students in that inaugural class and thanks to Vincent I am now teaching in the undergrad program there.