Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Shawn Barber, CCA Visit

I should rename this blog, “Dinning With the Art Department.” I’m such a sucker for a good meal. Here is Shawn Barber and Chris, Uno, and Dan Dos Santos, and I at Agra -- my favorite hole in the wall Indian restaurant. Shawn is an amazing painter currently working on a series of portraits of contemporary artists and their tattoos. He is in town this week taking his California College of Art class to various publishers and artists' studios. Besides treating us to lunch, Shawn gave us a quick preview of his new art book due out this fall. (His current book, Tattooed Portraits, is available from 9mm Books.) After listening to how hard Shawn works it is clear how he has gotten as good as he is. Later in the afternoon we met up with the students at Tor and Dan and I gave a tag-team lecture and portfolio review.

6 comments:

Tracy Flynn Art said...

You should get Shawn to do a painting of Johnny Winters tats.....if hasn't already.......Johnny's an albino and be some good colour, not to mention an incredible muscian.

Those are some interesting images and great paintings.

Thanks Irene

Tracy

Tony Shasteen said...

It's amazing the people you rub elbows with. I envy you!

-Tony

Travis Louie said...

I didn't know he was in town.
he is part fo the same Artists Collective I'm in.
I'll have to call and bother him next week.

shawn barber said...

thanks for everything, irene-
you and dan gave the students much more than I could have ever expected... they all have a greater sense of what it will take for them to be successful-
your words of advice, generosity and willingness to share what you know was a priceless experience...
cheers!
shawn

Anonymous said...

Please handle this to Shawn
Dear Shawn, are you Richard's son? My name is Sandra Gregori Barber and my email is sandragregoribarber@yahoo.com I am your aunt and would like to contact with you or your father.
Best regards,
Sandra

Anonymous said...

Shawn,
Please I would like to contact your father.
Best regards,
Sandra