Friday, October 19, 2007

Charles Santore

This has been a week of meeting idols. Charles Santore is huge on my list of favorite artists. Two years ago I bought a sketch from his Wizard of Oz book at an auction -– I had been sweating it the entire evening fearing someone would scoop me. I’ve seen him at any number of events but have always been too shy to say Hello, but at last night’s Society of Illustrators children’s book opening (which I sandwiched around seeing Wolves) I had the great pleasure of talking to him for quite a while. It seems that the sketch I bought is the only thing from his Oz series that he has let out into the world. He’s is currently working on a Frank Baum Christmas story, which has me very excited. I love Christmas...except for the shopping. I so hate the shopping.

5 comments:

Mark Behm said...

I used to visit his studio and gawk at his pencils as a boy. He was a block from the comic book store. Pure inspiration.

Irene Gallo said...

Holy cow, am I jealous! As great as his books are, the originals just make you want to cry.

tlchang said...

I've only seen a few of his original paintings at some exhibit at the Brandywine Museum in DE a number of years ago. I stayed in front of them for a *long* time, and went back several times to look at them again.... His painting is just gorgeous in person. I'm SO jealous that you have been able to aquire a sketch of his!

Anonymous said...

Charles is an American Treasure. He is also a very nice, humble and very gifted man. I have been fortunate to have had some nice chats about art with him. He is an illustrator's illustrator that continues to amaze us with his brilliant work. He never takes the easy way on anything and he thoughtfully approaches each image with an unmatched intensity. It's clear in his work that level of passion and desire to create a classic image that will capture our imagination. I'm most impressed with his lighting and dramatic perspectives. I think every illustrator should study his work. The lessons are priceless.

Anonymous said...

I like a game which you need usemaplemesosto play. If you want to be online to play this game, I can borrow mesosto you. When you have cheap mesos, and than you can go on this game. Of cause, when you are first to play, you can maplestory mesos. If you have enoughmaple story mesos, you will be able to different games.