Saturday, October 27, 2007

World Fantasy + Manchess, Payne, and Zwerger

I will be at World Fantasy next week. I have one panel, which I only just noticed I am moderating. Dang. Now I have some homework to do. (No doubt, John Picacio will both save the day and make the rest of us look bad by coming prepared. ;-)

How a Book Cover is Chosen. Art directors and artists discuss what makes a cover work.
FRIDAY, 2 PM. City Center A
Lou Anders, Irene Gallo (m), Tom Kidd, John Picacio, Jacob Weisman

(Hmmm, I think the word “chosen” is unfortunate. It's more like some kind of difficult birthing process that is rewarding (hopefully) in hindsight.)

Anyway, I’m very much looking forward to the weekend. I am, however, sad that it means I will miss a children's book illustration exhibit with Chris Payne, Greg Manchess, and Lisbeth Zwerger opening in Santa Barbara. What's killing me
in particular is missing the opportunity to see Lisbeth Zwerger’s watercolors in person. I’ve loved her work for ages but I’ve never actually seen the originals.
Storytellers: Children's Book Illustrators
Nov 3 -- Dec 13
Westmont College
Santa Barbara, CA

3 comments:

John Picacio said...

You make me laugh. Last sentence first paragraph was hilarious. :)

Ah, now I know why Manchess isn't gonna be at WFC. Boy, that does sound like a sweet exhibit in Santa Barbara.

So after our panel is over on Friday, how many of us are hightailing it over to Moebius' presentation? I can't wait to see that....

Scott Anderson said...

Hi Irene-

Thanks for the plug for the Westmont show! We're sorry you can't make it out to join us. Lisbeth's originals are tiny--in some cases even a bit smaller than print size, and they're absolute gems.

And anyone in Southern Cali who reads this, come join us for the opening on Saturday Nov. 3rd, it's from 2-5pm. Greg, C.F., and Lisbeth will be there to meet & greet and sign books.

Rampian said...

I too would love to see Zwerger's originals with my own eyes. Thanks for the tip about the show. I'm going to try to make it down from Berkeley.