Thursday, February 14, 2008

Art Hugo Talk

The Tor web project has taken quite a bit of my time so I am, shamefully, among the last to point to the excellent article about the Art Hugo posted on the Spectrum website. Doubly shameful since I spent a lot of time at the LA World Con business meeting trying to amend the Art Hugo rules.

The problem in a nutshell:
Until last year, just four people won the Art Hugo in the past 25 years. Those four are excellent artists but do not represent the full breadth of what the field had to offer. (The fact that John Berkey never won is just one of many oversights that diminishes the award.) Clearly, momentum voting was dictating winners. Donato Giancola, John Picaio, and I made a plea to amend the rules in order to get people to think more carefully before voting. Perhaps change is on its way, certainly blogs and website have helped — there have been new names creeping up list (Stephan Martiniere, John Picacio) and Donato Giancola finally won a long-deserved Hugo last year.


The current cheat sheet:

Arnie and Cathy Fenner’s excellent article.

John Klima and Lou Anders response.

And the hugely helpful Mark Kelley cover index.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The plea to amend the rules is encouraging; I have to admit that I'd pretty much crossed off the idea of ever winning an Art Hugo. Not because I'm a fledgling illustrator, but because I have the great bad fortune to not be Michael Whelan -- which is more than a little depressing, as I can only change my illustrations, not who I am. ;)

I'd love to see Jon Foster and Dan Dos Santos win a Hugo for their work, someday. Not only are they great artists, but they're also gracious, kind, and encouraging. I'll keep my fingers crossed for them!

ces said...

Didn't I read somewhere that Giancola wrote a letter saying since I've now won this award, I withdraw my name from further nomination? I can't remember wehre I saw it, and what the award was, but it sticks in my mind.

Carl V. Anderson said...

Here, here! Couldn't agree more. While I certainly feel like those who have won in the past are deserving...they really are...I would like to see it based on specific works as well. And it should follow the same published within the last year rules that the other Hugo categories follow. Here's hoping for change.

Anonymous said...

I'd like to see Stephen Martiniere go up on the Hugo soon. I saw he won a Chesley for his Elantris cover, and I've been trying (unsuccessfully so far) to get people to give me his Quantumscapes book for Xmas and my birthday. But now that both holidays have passed, I guess I'll have to get it on my own.

Jon Foster's work is pretty awesome too. And I have a feeling we'll start seeing more of James Jean soon. I hope so anyway.

PS. Oh, and hi, Irene! (I saw you at Boskone. I was the red-head with the postcard.)