Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Sandy Kossin

Illustration Art and Today's Inspiration have taken time to point out Sandy Kossin’s excellent work. Soooo, I thought I'd take the opportunity to brag about my latest acquisition. I saw this 1967 Argosy painting at the Society ages ago and it stuck in my mind. This year, it became my birthday/Christmas/Flag Day, etc. present. And the best part -- visiting Sandy and his wife and getting to spend hours poking around his studio and seeing the famous Life Magazine Bay of Pigs paintings on the walls. It was a great day. He spoke very passionately about painting. It was particularly touching to see Greg pull out tear-sheets that he had been saving since he was a kid that showed Sandy’s work. Go and read the articles linked above and enjoy.

7 comments:

Tony Shasteen said...

And here I was feeling all good about buying the Bay of Pigs Life Magazine. That's a great painting! It's definitely brag worthy. Did you happen to get any pictures of your time at the studio?

Anonymous said...

Oooooooh! and Happy Birthday!

Nathan Fowkes said...

I envy your birthday/Christmas/Flag Day present. Kossin's illustrations for Readers Digest condensed books were a big part of what made me want to be an illustrator when I was a teen.

Thanks for the post.

Irene Gallo said...

Tony - I was such a putz. I had my camera the whole time but forgot to take it out. Hopefully there will be a next time.

Thank you, Mathew.

Nathan - I'm completely blown away by your blog!

Anyone here, run to:
http://nathanfowkes.blogspot.com/

Kyle T. Webster said...

Holy smokes! I just ran out to Nathan's blog and I am so glad you called attention to it. Incredible! Nathan, you have gained a new fan.

And happy birthday, Irene. What a perfect gift.

kenmeyerjr said...

Found this while doing a search for Kossin on the net, after reading the brand new Illustration magazine with a great Kossin feature...Dan Zimmer can do no wrong! And, man, is Kossin's work full of life! This is the kind of work I want to do. I know I have seen Kossin's work in the past, but was only now reminded of it. I don't think there is a book devoted solely to Kossin...but if I find it, it's mine!

Irene Gallo said...

Thanks for the heads up! I'l run out and get a copy ASAP.