Wednesday, March 21, 2007

David Grove, Hall of Famer

I've been meaning to show off David Grove's cover and drawings for Gene Wolfe's Pirate Freedom for a while...And now, I just learned that David will be inducted into the Illustrators' Hall of Fame this summer. I couldn't be more thrilled for David. He is an amazing artist and this honor is well deserved. I come into work each day with one of his drawings on my wall and it makes me smile every morning. I love how abstract and spontaneous he can be within the bounds of realism -- he can tell a story without ever giving too much of it away.

Pirate Freedom
will feature about 20 drawings at the chapter breaks and will be out in November.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

An appropriate N. C. Wyeth feel to the Pirate cover.

francis tsai said...

nice - his stuff reminds me of Bob Peak.

Robert Hunt said...

David Grove is a truly great illustrator and a classy gentleman, I am very happy that he is to receive this great honor.

Carl V. Anderson said...

Interesting looking Wolfe book with a fantastic cover! I will definitely be snagging this one.

Unknown said...

As I just wrote on the Gene Wolfe mailing list:

I am so very happy that Tor has got David Grove illustrating Wolfe's books. I really like Grove's covers and the internal illustrations are also really nifty. I think he's a great fit for Wolfe and hope they will have many more years and many more books together.

(Can't say I like the font on Pirate Freeom. But it's not that bad.)