Saturday, March 10, 2007

Greg Manchess: Step by Step

Greg Manchess just finished a series of paintings for a non-fiction children’s book, Magallen’s World, due out in July. (Look carefully and you’ll see that the role of Magallen was played by Donato Giancola.) Here is a step-by-step of the scene where Magallen forces the native Filipinos to burn their religious artifacts. Followed by “Navigating the Straits”, “Firing the Cannons”, and a detail progress of Magallen’s comeuppance. Currently, Greg is at work on the sequel to S. M. Stirling's The Sky People for Tor.

"This rare type of book assignment is especially engaging for me. I like to try to combine historical fact with a grand sense of adventure. History is extremely exciting and I take it as an honorable task to excite kids to appreciate it.

I painted 10 pieces for the book in 5 weeks. I planned it so that every piece would be fun for me to paint. By the time I had gotten to each of the finishes, I saw each one so clearly in my mind that I was able to simply fill it in. I don’t start a piece until I know eactly where I’m going with it. The experimentation is all in the concept stages."
-- Greg Manchess

5 comments:

Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

VERY COOL!! I like the boat approaching the coastline and the icebergs. Beautiful and painterly!! I guess it means another book for the collection! The step-by-step is great.

Tracy Flynn Art said...

I love seeing other folks "process" or how they work. Love Gregs work to begin with and this is way too cool. I am surprised that he doesn't havea toned surface or underpainting.......at least form what I see in the photos.

Thanks Irene...yer cool too

Tracy

Ben Foster said...

Man, Greg is too good.

I was surprised in the step by step to see that, while Greg works predominantly background to foreground, there were a few spots where the foreground was painted first. (Most notably the larger foreground figure before the figure on the right of the composition). Any particular reason why?

Arkady Roytman said...

i say his every time, Greg's landscapes are just gorgeous!!! So much mood and storytelling in such a deceptively simple image. I can't wait to see these in person.

Anonymous said...

I like a game which you need usemaplemesosto play. If you want to be online to play this game, I can borrow mesosto you. When you have cheap mesos, and than you can go on this game. Of cause, when you are first to play, you can maplestory mesos. If you have enoughmaple story mesos, you will be able to different games.