Sunday, March 11, 2007

Society Sequential Opening

I wrote this out about a month ago and never got to posting it. The exhibit is over but I loved the two medal winners so, although ancient history in blog terms,....

About a month and half ago I went to the Society’s annual Sequential opening. I had a great time, and stayed way to late, talking to various peoples. I was a juror for this exhibit this year and have to admit that the parameters for this category are poorly defined by the Society and not enough is done to promote it to the creatives most involved in sequential work. That said, there was a lot of great work to look at. I was particularly excited by two of the medal winners.


The gold medal went to the animated commercial for United Airlines titled “Dragon” and it is just fantastic. To make something so sweet and effecting out of a hardcore advertising job is not easy. The animation made the rounds on many blogs last year, but if you haven’t seen it, check it out here, along with a short “making of” clip.


A silver medal went to Michael Sloan for his short story, The Heresy of Professor Nimbus,that “tells how Nimbus confronts a world that blindly chooses myth over scientific fact.” The story is told without words and yet by the end you would have swear to have experienced moving, talking pictures. I saw this book early on in the judging process and was crossing my fingers all day that it would make it to the medal debates -- and thrilled to see it honored at the end of the day.

1 comment:

Jim Di Bartolo said...

Yeah, that UA ad caught my eye too. Glad to see that it got the recognition it deserves! Thanks for posting the news.

Jim