Tuesday, June 03, 2008

John and Faith Hubley at MoMA

Thanks to the folks at Cartoon Brew, I caught a John and Faith Hubley film festival at the Museum of Modern Art last night. This was accompanied by a small exhibit of paintings from their movie The Story of *.

I saw a few Hubley films when I was in college and loved them. Rather than trying to recreate the seamlessness of live action film, the Hubley'
s quirky movements are free and loose and comfortably fall in and out of abstraction.The half-dozen movies shown were good natured, poignant, funny, and beautifully, beautifully drawn. Truly, they were an experience that was only possible through animation -- these were not stories that could have been told in words, pictures, or music alone.

When I was a kid, I watched all the same cartoons as anyone in single digits throughout the 70s did, but the ones I still remember where the one-offs, not so much the regular series characters. Gerald McBoing Boing was a favorite, I vaguely remembered something called Rooty Toot Toot, which, much later in life, I realized came from the song "Frankie and Johnny," and a bunch of others that I have partial memories of. Tonight, while poking around Youtube, I was only half surprised to see the Hubleys' name attached to many of these films.


Below is The Tender Game, my favorite from tonight's screening. Hubleys + Ella Fitzgerald = much to love. Sadly, this version literally pales in comparison to the beautifully restored version at MoMA.


And, since we were near the Warwick Hotel, here's a little Dean Cornwell bonus:

4 comments:

Shane White said...

Ahhh this was a highlight of my trip to New York in February of last year...the Cornwell mural.

The dining room was closed but I pleaded that I came all the way from Seattle to see it.

The only other thing that topped it off was the Sorolla paintings at the Harlem Spanish Museum...oh lordy...some gorgeous gigantic work!

=s=

Irene Gallo said...

I can;t believe I have never made it up to see those Sorolla murals - I;ve heard so many people rave about them. I'll need to get myself there in the next few weeks. Thanks for the kick in the butt.

Anonymous said...

Nice Post. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I like a game which you need use dofus kamas to play. If you want to be online to play this game, I can borrow kamas to you. When you have cheap kamas, and than you can go on this game. Of cause, when you are first to play, you can dofus gold. If you have enough buy dofus kamas, you will be able to different games.