Monday, June 02, 2008

Superheroes at the Met

About a month ago, I'm walking by the Met, outside the windows of the Temple of Dendur, and a friend of mine looks in and says, "That looks like Superman's house in there." The Met was setting up some swanky party, but I really doubted Superman had anything to do with it. And I was wrong. Superheroes: Fashion and Fantasy was opening.

I have to admit, I ran through the exhibit quickly. Nothing really caught my attention -- although I did enjoy seeing super-enlarged comic art, most by Alex Ross, used as backdrops. It wasn't until I saw the runway shots in the catalog that I realized what was missing for me was motion. Seeing the costumes and clothes in action, even if caught on film or in comic pages, made more sense to me than seeing them hung over stiff mannequins.

Still, no day at the Met is a bad one...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh man, I LOVE that Vuillard painting on the bottom left, it's one of my MET favorites.

Anonymous said...

You are Bad! No Pictures in the Superheroes Show! It's a pretty cool exhibit, huh? The Temple was set up like the Fortress of Solitude for the Gala Party the Costume Institute has every year, everyone from the Beckham's to Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes were there. They even had these awesome 12-15 ft. tall statues of Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman for the opening. I'm annoyed the museum got rid of them, they would have been amazing pillars for the entrance of the exhibit.

Ian T. Kirkpatrick said...

Seems like a great show! I think comic heros and Alex Ross go together like PB & J!!

Irene Gallo said...

Owen - you busted me! The great thing about a digital camera is, with no film to waste, it's no problem rattling off dozens of shoots from under your arm...and no shutter sound.

You must see a lot of fun nights there.