Saturday, August 16, 2008

Greg Ruth


Just about every artist I know regrets not having time for "their own" work. Greg Ruth (one awesome drawer) has announced a project to force himself into creating just that. The 52 Weeks Project -- he will make a drawing each week, all at the same proportions and using the same materials. Drawing number 1 seen to the left.

What strikes me the most about the project is his intention to keep it fun and light. A problem I see among many pro and emerging artists is they see each project has overly meaningful and precious. Occasionally just letting yourself fool around with some ideas will lead you somewhere interesting and not fully expected, especially over the course of a year.

7 comments:

Eric Braddock said...

Very awesome stuff, I look forward to seeing more of his work. It's totally true what you said, I know a lot of people who don't give themselves the freedom to try stuff and just have a good time doing it. It's really about allowing yourself to find the unexpected and having the ability to even surprise yourself from every now and then.

Jeremy said...

I really, really want to own a copy of the boy in the grass with the house in the distance. It speaks to me in a way I can't explain. I've been coming back and looking at it all day.

Lana Gramlich said...

That top painting's awesome!
I agree about having fun with art. I used to take myself so seriously it wasn't any fun at all. Now I don't worry so much & as a result, I often pleasantly surprise myself.

Tracy Flynn Art said...

I honestly tend to do a lot of work just for me. I have a series of portraits that I am doing just for fun and the learning experience of doing it. I also have an on ging seires of chilldhood memories tht I am doing in watercolours that is about my childhood and the memories I have ( thus the name by the way) of growing up in a rural area........everything from being shot at with rock salt from stealing crab apples to floating down a river on a tube with a group of friends. doing things like this keeps me sane while working on the other stuff. It sort of grounds me and allows me a freedom that I don't find on other porjects.

Tracy

Anonymous said...

The last bit you said ...actually needed to remind myself that.
school's been making me take things too seriously, even the contents of my sketchbook.

i feel like sometimes one's best work and ideas come out of work done for relaxation.

Thanks for the post!

- anonymouse

Bee Skelton said...

I can totally relate to this, especially just now. For several years I've been painting mostly to commission in a realistic style. I just reached a point when I couldn't continue. Now I'm painting what comes from the inside, just for me and my soul is soaring! Great article I'll be following progress.

Francis Vallejo said...

awesome! Greg is a favorite artist of mine!!!!!!