Monday, March 03, 2008

Richard Powers: Hall of Fame

I think John Picacio is the first to praise the Science Fiction Hall of Fame for selecting Richard Powers as their next artist Hall of Famer. If I weren't so busy at the moment, I too would be saying how awesome this is.

(Hurray to John, who is always quick to point out the importance of past artists on today’s field.)

Here is David Hartwell -- Tor editor, art collector, and long time friend of Powers, with a personal essay.

And here is the Powers Compendium -- a fantastic collection of Powers covers. (But leave plenty of time for browsing it without any thumbnails to help guide your way.)

UPDATE:

Bob Eggleton reminded me of Jane Frank's book, The Art of Richard Powers.

(And hurray to Jane for keeping artists like Powers and John Berkey in the bookstores and in the minds of today's painters and fans.)

5 comments:

Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

Powers is long deserved. A truly underrated artist even in his own time. I was on the jury last year and we inducted Ed Emshwiller, Powers was batted about but the certainty was he would be on the next year-on these things you have to reach unanimous agreement. And, lo and behold he is. His work touched Sci Fi in ways that were it not for Dave Hartwell memorances and Jane Frank's most excellent book, he might have faded to obscurity. MY admiration for him is for his mulitude of styles and contribution to the genre of science fiction.

Randall Ensley said...

A great post. There were some Powers works at the WorldCon/Noreascon IV Art Retrospective where Bob gave the tour. A memorable experience.
Randall Ensley

http://randallensley.blogspot.com/

Carl V. Anderson said...

Until I clicked over on the site I didn't realize that I knew Richard Powers' work. He did covers for the Stainless Steel Rat books of which I have bought and given away many.

And you're right, that place needs to be visited when some time to browse is available. Wow, what a prolific artist!

Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

Randall-thanks. I really enjoyed that-my very best memory of that show, despite my flagging voice.I was literally shaking with excitement that this show of retro work was just so nice. In many ways it overshadowed the "proper" contemporary artshow. So many images brought back so many memories. The Schoenherr's(another underrated artist who came back but as a widely prized wildlife artist) were also prizes to see in the flesh,as it were/. I have a good friend who's purchased a $$$$$$$ Powers-one of perhaps the man's very best-a small painting but the impact makes one go back again and again for a look. It's framed and under a spotlight in his Dallas home and it's jaw dropping.

Irene Gallo said...

That was a great show, Bob. Great amounts of kudos to the committee and the collectors for giving Noreascon an exhibit to be remembered for decades. I wish it could have moved to a gallery where it could have lasted more than just the weekend.