Monday, May 19, 2008

Thumbnails: Patrick Arrasmith

Thumbnails: 30 Second Interviews

An ad in Locus Magazine pointed me towards a Subterranean Press edition of Snow Crash illustrated by Patrick Arrasmith. Normally I don't need any reminding about how cool Patrick is, but it did remind me that I had yet to hassle him for a quick interview. Without further adieu....

Favorite painting you did in the past year?

I did a piece for Subterranean Press that was fun for me to explore getting color scratchboard to work in a new way. The book was New Amsterdam by Elizabeth Bear. [BOTTOM IMAGE] I've been playing with putting color into the scratchboard on the computer for a little bit now and this piece was put together in a modular way. I took the different elements and placed them together to make the end image that made me feel like I was getting somewhere.

Dream assignment?

Someone to pay me to write and illustrate the crazy daydreams I have while working at
a desk doing their art.

Do you remember the first time you knew you wanted to be an artist?

I think I was always doing art in one way or another, except for a brief moment when crafting drug paraphernalia took precedence. The moment for me was when I finally realized that I had to forget about the negative associations (starving artist etc.) of pursuing art as a career and just go for it.

What painting do you wish you painted?

Every time I get the new Spectrum book or go to a Society of illustrators Annual show I would say I feel jealous that I didn't paint so many of the images. But to not dodge the question I think the first time I saw the Gustave Doré engraving "Invocation to Muhammad" in college I had the strongest feeling of I wish I did that.


Most embarrassing illustration related moment?

Years ago turning in an utter turd to a trade magazine because I did it in the back of a van on a road trip. Literally the majority of the illustration was done at around 65 to 70 MPH. So unprofessional. When I first started I had trouble separating work and play.

What are you working on now?

The 5th installment of The Last Apprentice series of young adult fantasy novels. It's a decent
amount of work with interiors so it's been my only focus lately.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bought the Tennis Racquet is important, exercise can reduce the harm, especially for the wrist injury. But the good of Tennis Racket in general in the real prices are more expensive, so a lot of websites now have cheap tennis racquettennis racquet discountcheap tennis racketdiscount Tennis Racket .