Sunday, September 23, 2007

Introducing Morgan

Welcome Morgan, the newest member of the family.

He was adopted from Grateful Greyhounds -- an organization that rescues racing dogs that would otherwise be euthanized when the tracks are done with them. Contrary to what you might think, greyhounds are super mellow and laid back animals. They’re fascinating to watch -- very elegant. Their long skinny legs make them seem as if they are barley touching the ground when they walk, almost deer like.


And did you know that greyhounds can accelerate to 45 miles an hour in just three strides, bested only by cheetahs? True...Although they say our Morgan was dead-last in just about every race he ran so I don’t think we’ll be seeing any 45 mph from him. Just as well, his slow-pokeyness seems to have gotten him off the track and into our home pretty quick.

5 comments:

Annalee said...

Wow, he looks just like Revel, the grey my family adopted from Greyhound Welfare in January. They're amazing pets--congratulations on welcoming one into your home.

Watch him around the art supplies, though. Revel is under the impression that anything soft and/or colorful is his-- especially my sister-almost-in-law's knitting-- and that's apparently pretty typical of the breed.

Are there greyhound runs in your area? They do them fairly regularly near us, and it's pretty incredible. Even the greys that are living up their retirement by napping constantly seem to love the runs. They're so beautiful when they get going.

Hi, by the way. I've been reading your blog pretty much since you started, but I don't comment much.

Amy Sisson said...

Congrats on your new family member, and thank you, on behalf of all animal lovers, for adopting him.

We have gone the cat-rescue route (indeed, the crazy-cat-lady-rescue route), but I miss dogs.

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Hey, congrats! I'm not a dog person, but my sister's first greyhound (she's now on numbers two and three) convinced me that if I ever get a dog, it'll be a hound. I'm nuts about them.

Here's hoping you guys have many years of fun and fast runs together.

Irene Gallo said...

Thanks guys!

Annaleee - We'll have to look into runs. It would be great to watch him stretch his legs some. And thanks for reading!

Amy - I'm typically a cat-person myself. Recently there was a stray kitten that ran out of the woods and followed me home. I was hoping to get him fed and keep him but he got spooked when we tried to get him in the house. We should have just left him outside to feed him. I'm hoping/assuming that if he was so forthcoming to follow me home he'd likely make himself known to he next passerby.

Susan - It does seem that nobody has just one greyhound. At the event we went to, everyone had two or three in tow.

David Apatoff said...

What, no goat?