Friday, January 16, 2009

Andrew Wyeth

I'm trying to think of something eloquent to say but all I want to do is take a walk through the frozen fields around my house. Andrew Wyeth spent his entire life painting his backyard in Chads Ford and Maine and seemed to constantly see familiar surroundings as strange and beautiful and deeply, deeply personal. I don't think anyone anyone outside of my personal life has effected me as much as Andrew Wyeth.

Out on Long Island I take the same walks over and over again. It's not a particularly large space, or rugged, but I find it fascinating every time. Each fallen tree or bend in the path takes on a meaning for me that is impossible to articulate. As these landmarks shift and decay and regrow, my thoughts and emotions associated with them deepen and become more and more abstract and harder to explain. Looking at Wyeth's work, I may not know what the associations with his surroundings are, but I understand them completely.

And it reminds me that to be alone in a frozen field can be an amazing thing.

Really, to die at home at 91 with truly the most amazing career of any contemporary artist shouldn't be such a sad thing...but he'll be missed.

10 comments:

ces said...

A big loss.

NO ONE can paint like Mr. Wyeth, traditionally or digitally.

bill said...

he has always been my example of that calm, quiet, relevant, and steady voice amongst the cacophony we call the art world. greatness seems inadequate in describing him and his contribution. at least we will always have his work.

Jim Di Bartolo said...

Wow, what sad news. And what an amazing an inspirational artist. His influence will last forever no doubt.

Eric Braddock said...

Not the news I wanted to hear when I woke up today.. but I have to agree, the man had quite an impressive life, I hope we could only be so lucky to have lived the way that he did.

Jorge Mascarenhas said...

Andrew Wyeth just showed us that our ordinary world is not ordinary at all....there's beauty in the small things we see and pass by everyday.

Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

Nicely said Irene-I knew this would be your post today!!. I blogged about him as well but figured you'd be the better anyway to do so. He was honored on NBC News tonight in a segment, which I think, was pretty cool amongst all the bad news about the world. They noted he was "de-rided with the title of illustrator" by "art critics but spoke kindly saying that his work spoke for itself to generations to all of is. Well, who the Hell needs over-educated art critics? To die in one's sleep at 91, it's not tragic, it's a loss...but like Chesley Bonestell who died at 97(!) and Peter Ellenshaw(matte painter godfather!) who died at 93,they also passed away in their sleep. In fact, it was said Chesley had a grin on his face. And, both Ellenshaw and Bonestell had been painting, the day before. That's the way to go, if one has to.

Anonymous said...

One of the many amazing things about Andrew Wyeth is how he was always advancing, always pushing into new territory. The older he became the more and more daring were his paintings.
Fabulous.

Anonymous said...

Touching comments. Don't forget, however, that Wyeth's backyard also included his friends and neighbors.

Anonymous said...

Wyeth's work had such a grounded effect, it would anchor the lofty, yet flightless world of fine art. From the moment I saw his work I understood what he was exploring and expressing, and realized that real painting does not have to be about artists pining for attention. It was starkly authentic and this aspect allowed me to withstand the pretentiousness of fine art.
His paintings just pulled one into the situation of scene and said, "Look at this. Think about it with me." I admired his ability to engage the viewer with such subtlety.
The work will do this for generations on. I will miss knowing he was out there, roaming the fields.

David Apatoff said...

Very nice, Irene, and very deeply felt.

RIP Andy.