Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Stephan Martinere and Me in Boston

A bit of self pimpery.

Boskone
February 13-15, 2009

Stephan Martiniere and I are two of the Guests of Honor at Boskone. Not only is it my first (maybe only) GoH stint, but it's for one of my favorite conventions. Boskone is like an intimate version of World Con: great guests and members but in manageable enough numbers that you can spend real time with people, New England has a very energetic art-fandom that often put on special exhibits beyond the usual art shows, it's the one time of year I'm sure to see Rick Berry, and...well, I'd like to say something nice about Boston itself, it's a great city but, holy crap, is it cold in February!

Anyway......

I'll be there talking about whatever anyone wants to. I'm also working with Mark Olson to put together a Tor cover art exhibit. I'll be sure to have some known favorites plus some artists not as well known to the con community.

And, so I can pretend to have "peeps", Tor.com producer, Pablo Defendini, and blogger Bridget McGovern are coming up as well.

And best yet, Stephan! He rarely goes to conventions outside of San Diego Comic Con. It's a rare opportunity to hang out with Stephan without 100,000+ others competing for space and time. Because of that, lots of East coast artists are either exhibiting or coming in for a day trip. Donato, Greg Manchess, Dan Dos Santos threatened to show up for a day, Bob Eggleton, being local, is usually there, Dave Seeley as well....and a number of others.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds fun. Enjoy yourself!

Randall Ensley said...

Dave Seeley is great and I love his Star Wars covers, especially "Rebel Dream" which features the real hero of Star Wars, Wedge Antilles.
I am hoping to see you in Boston and am attempting to get into the art show last minute.
I enjoy The Art Department and do my best to promote it.

Anonymous said...

Once again, wishing I was in Boston. I like the cold---and Stephan!

ces said...

Martiniere is also the Artist GoH at ArmadilloCon in Austin, Texas this summer. So that will be 2 non-SDComicCon conventions in the first 8 months of 2009.

So far I have not seen his name on ConceptArt.Org's March Dallas, Texas workshop, although 2 other idSoftware employees are on the list.

Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

I'll be there. It is my 30TH BOSKONE. My first was in 1979! Wow. I feel so damn OLD!

Carly Mazur said...

Living in Boston, I will be there! I will need to take inventory of who's going be there from the IMC.