Saturday, January 24, 2009

Massive Black/ConceptArt.org Workshop Announced

ConceptArt.org has announced their next workshop and I'm giddy as all heck to be on the monster instructor list.


Conceptart.org / Massive Black Workshop
March 28-31st
Dallas Texas

I went to their last US workshop, in Seattle, and it was a mindblower. 4 days, 500 students, I'm guessing 50 instructors, 2 warehouse-sized rooms -- 1 dedicated to digital work, the other to traditional -- 8 to 10 hours a day, 1 crazy-ass opening party, at least a dozen demos going on at any one time, live music throughout the day to paint by, 6+ live models at all times (some nude, some in costume,)...and one million sparks of inspiration.

The trick about the Massive Black workshops is:
1) Don't be shy - the loose structure rewards artists that step up and ask lost of questions. All the instructors are there to be nudged, poked, and prodded for any information they can share.
2) Settle down and absorb as much as possible without stressing about what you are missing. It takes a while but you do eventually realize there is enough time to get around to everything.

This year's workshop is in conjunction with the American Film Instituter's AFI Fest. I don't know what that'll mean, but it can only be good, right?

This video petty much wraps up the experience:



My write-ups from the Seattle workshop here, here, here, here, and here.
Flickr set here.

9 comments:

Charlie said...

It was an awesome experience in Seattle. IT was great to say hello to you and many of the artists you write about in this blog. See you in Dallas!

H. A. Calles said...

That's so cool... I'm going to be in Houston around that time.. I may drop by to see what's up. Regards!

david said...

This is excellent news, considering I live outside of Dallas, and haven't been to a CA workshop since their 2nd one (I think) in Austin. Thanks for the heads-up! My wife also reads your blog and spotted this before I did, so we both had a bit of a freak-out.

Josh Jasper said...

I know I've been away for a while, but has anyone blogged about this awesome online collection of F/SF art here?

筱娅 said...

I like a game which you need use 2moons di to play. If you want to be online to play this game, I can borrow 2moons gold to you. When you have 2moon dil, and than you can go on this game. Of cause, when you are first to play, you can buy 2moons dil. If you have enough cheap 2moons gold, you will be able to different games.

Anonymous said...

Once I played Asda Story, I did not know how to get strong, someone told me that you must have Asda Story gold. He gave me some Asda Story money, he said that I could buy Asda Story Gold, but I did not have money, then I played it all my spare time. From then on, I got some cheap Asda Story gold.

how to buy air shoes said...

Some new style Puma Speed is in fashion this year. chaussure puma is Puma Shoes in french. Many france like seach “chaussure sport” by the internet when they need buy the Puma shoes or buy the nike max shoes.The information age is really convenient. By the way ,the puma CAT is really good chaussures puma ,don’t forget buy the puma mens shoes and nike air max ltd by the internet when you need them . Do you know Nike Air Shoes is a best Air Shoes .

Spring is coming, and how to choose the polo shirts is the main concern of many people. ralph lauren polo shirts is a classic type and reliable. ed hardy clothing is more in line with the aesthetic ideas of young people, so many young people filled with a variety of ed hardy clothes in their wardrobes. New style ed hardy womens shirt match the new style ed hardy sunglasses , it is a good idea.
Do you think this season is not for ugg boots ? maybe yes .but this season is best time that can buy the cheap ugg boots. Many sellers are selling discounted. Do not miss . Please view my blog and fc2 blog .thank you .

LAN said...

puma mens shoes
puma shoes
puma speed
nike shoes
nike air
nike air shoes
nike air max 90
nike air max 95
nike air max tn
nike air rift
nike shox r4
nike air max 360
nike shox nz
puma cat
air max trainers
mens nike air max
sports shoes
nike air rifts
nike air rift trainer
nike air
nike shoes air max
nike shoes shox
air shoes
nike shoe cart
puma future
cheap puma
nike rift
jeans shop
diesel jeans
levis jeans
nike rift shoes
cheap nike air rifts
bape shoes

Heix said...

God I love Massive Black, I'll defenetly join the Art department some day. Awesome vid.