Thursday, January 08, 2009

Justin Gerard's The Hobbit

Justin Gerard is creating an impressive series of watercolor paintings on The Hobbit. His blog includes sketches, progress shoots, selected quotes and personal thoughts on the book. Completely self-motivated, these paintings have no destined book or other printed means.

Justin started the series as a means to recapture his own mental-images of the story and dive more deeply into traditional painting. Painting, he doesn't seem to have much trouble with, and I imagine he finds The Hobbit full of joy 'cause that's what these paintings are made of. If ever collected, it would be one of the most charming editions of the book.

"Like many people, when I read J.R.R. Tolkien's series I had all kinds of visual ideas in my own mind of what the characters, monsters and places looked like....And when the films were released I was jarred my first time seeing them. Things didn't look like they had in my head....Then something terrible happened.I found that I had lost my ideas. At first, they were only tainted by the films, but after a while I found that I had lost them altogether."

RELATED:
Lord of the Bots, Mattias Adolfsson
Another Hobbit

12 comments:

Mike Dutton said...

Wow.... what a treat. Thanks for sharing, Irene!

Corina St. Martin said...

These are just wonderful!

Howard Lyon said...

Oh my. Such wonderfully appealing paintings. It is like he is channeling Scott Gustafson and Paul Bonner to create some truly original and beautiful paintings. Another great share!

Beautiful work Justin!

Eric Braddock said...

Been following his series of these for the past 2 months or so... always one of my daily bookmarks to visit.

McLean Kendree said...

Instant favorite. Like Paul Bonner, but with smooth tonal transitions and focused compositions. Way too good!

Carl V. Anderson said...

These are absolutely gorgeous and I love the fact that he is doing all this for the love of a good book. Over the last several years I have become such a big fan of Tolkien's work and I can understand that magic inspiring someone to create such amazing work.

Did Gerard have some work in this year's Spectrum? His work and name look so familiar.

Dominic Bugatto said...

Beautiful work. Thanks for sharing.

Mike Corriero said...

I love the scene with the three trolls, I was going to point out the Paul Bonner influence as Howard mentioned. Love the look of these, a book would definitely be nice.

Anonymous said...

Awesome artwork!!! : ) Thanks for Sharing. They pretty much rock the world.

John said...

This is great work, typical of what I see from the amazing Portland Studios. I had the pleasure of meetign Justin at the Portland Studios booth at San Diego Comic Con; and interviewed him briefly. I'm very excited to see what the future holds for this artist.

Anonymous said...

femme chaussure
chaussure femme
chaussure homme
homme chaussure
chaussure puma homme
chaussure nike homme
chaussure puma femme

rah said...

Justin, your art is remarkable. I represent artists for children's books. I would love to be in touch with you. Please drop me an email (can you say "drop" here?) Ronnie@HermanAgencyInc.com

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you soon--
Ronnie