Thursday, July 24, 2008

SDCC: End of Preview Night

Preview night is over and it’s already late, ate night. (Actually, I should say, an not-early-enough morning.)

It started by trying in instigate a fight between Tor.com and Io9, which didn't go very far. Instead we traded buttons and business cards and the Io9 people were so cool, they invited us to crash a DC party under their name.


There, I had my second Batman moment of the con -- party swag included Bat signal light-up pens!!! So very exciting. (I love TV Batman. True, I know nothing of the cool Batman comic books and hip movies, but campy-ass TV Batman is part of my soul.)


After we finger-fooded our why through dinner and had a couple of drinks, we headed off to the traditional illustrators' haunt, the Westin lobby. It was a slowish night -- it’s the first day of the con and most people just arrived today -- still, I had a great night talking to a number of people, including Jeremy Lassen, of Night Shade Books. Jeremy has the dubious pleasure of being both a editor and art director - it was very interesting for me to hear his take on the business. I’m hoping to interview him and/or have him write a bit for Tor that explores what it’s like to wear these two hats simultaneously. (And, anyone that knows Jeremy, knows who seriously he takes his hats.)

But for now...sleeeep. Wonderful, wonderful sleep.


PICTURES:


FIRST GROUP:
Tor’s Patrick Nielson Haydon and Io9’s Annalee Newitz and Charlie Jane Anders. Scenes from the DC party.


SECOND GROUP:
Hanging out at the Weston. Jeremy Lassen, Greg Manchess, and Jon Foster looking and Kristina Carroll’s (hidden behind Jon) portfolio. Jeremy Lassen. Dave Palumbo, AKA, the man who made me famous via zombification. Donato and I.

4 comments:

Mike Dutton said...

Shucks Irene, I just barely missed you at the Con last year, and I won't be able to make it this year. Have a great time, and don't let the craziness down there re-morph you into one of Palumbo's zombies!

E.C. Myers said...

I've been meaning to e-mail you... I have my campy ass TV Batman tapes out of storage! As soon as I can figure out which box they're in, they're yours to borrow--the whole series.

Irene Gallo said...

eugene - I will love you till the end of time.

Adam Rex said...

Wish I was there, Irene. Sadly, I was in SD last week.
I think there are some problems with your photo captions. Dan Dos's name isn't mentioned, for a start.